Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My New Favorite Flavor

Long time no blog! But I'm back with a vengeance...the irrelevant, fluffy kind. So here's some fluff, comin' at ya:

If I had to say, I don't but I will anyway, I would argue that the freshest, most fabulous color of the season (it's imperative that I sound like a J. Crew catalog right now) is mint, and all forms and variations thereof. Whether it's shoes, t-shirts, cars, ice cream or money, mint is the new black in my book and definitely my new favorite flavor. As far as I can tell, this mint-colored craze is the latest progression of the whole blush/rose/peachy hued trend that came about with the opening of the new year. I'm still totally on that train by the way. And as far as mint is concerned, it's the perfect incarnation of everything fabulous about the Spring and Summer. It's fresh, it's bright, it looks great with and on everything, and it's the perfect compliment to anyone's skin tone. Not to mention, it can make even the grumpiest of people seem a few steps closer to Nirvana...by that I mean cheerier. Because you can't help but feel some of the brightening and lightening effects of this happy and fabulous hue, regardless of whether you're wearing it, leaning against an automotive version of it, or holding its monetary incarnation in your hands.

For me, and I suspect this is the case for most people, the color makes me smile because it reminds me of a creamy bowl of mint ice cream. (I need to get my hands on a tub of Mint Chocolate Cookie Ben and Jerry's ice cream stat, and while I'm at it, a tub of their Pistachio Pistachio...for research purposes.) Mint ice cream is sweet and pure and for some reason, it is the one flavor that reminds me more than any other of childhood. Not necessarily my childhood, but rather, childhood in a more universal sense. I suppose it's these rather pervasive happy-go-lucky, nostalgic associations that render the impact of the color in any form so immediate. There's just something fundamentally "feel-good" about that shade of green. "Feel-good" in the real sense, not the "this-is-the-best-feel-good-movie-of-the-year" sense. Cuz let's face it, those Julia Roberts movies never really make you feel good per se.

Sea foam green, a playfully aquatic cousin of mint, is just one of the many fabulous and distinctive variations of the color and it is the color of my latest shoe purchase: a pair of stacked-heel, vintage-inspired, sea foam pumps by Jeffrey Campbell.



I'm effing in love with them. (The best part about them was that they were on sale for like 30 dollars, thank you!) Another reason mint is so great: the other day, I saw a man wearing a mint button-down with the sleeves effortlessly rolled up his muscly (apparently that's how you spell muscle-y) forearms, which is my absolute favorite way for a guy to wear a shirt - if he has to wear one at all, and I almost died. He looked amazing and stylish and dapper, and I was drawn to his minty-ness...he definitely knew what he was doing. I will have two scoops of that, please.

In conclusion, I like the way the world looks through mint-colored glasses, and I'm going to invest in a pair for the long haul. Come to think of it actually, I think the reason that mint makes me smile is because it reminds me of money - printed money, the color of money, money being made, the U.S. Mint, its reference to exorbitantly priced things and perfect quality i.e. "This boat cost a mint" and "That bejeweled crown in is mint condition," and its general association with clean, crisp value. Yeah, that sounds about right. Either that, or it's because of this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget about MINT Plaza -- the home of Blue Bottle Coffee!! hehehhe
    But OMG I'm totally gonna pitch mint-colored pieces at work!! if you don't mind me stealing your idea, of course! I will give you a shout-out.
    & I LOVE the shoes!! $30!! ..haha aside from the shoes themselves, I think the box design is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy mint, because mint is green and I love green! I mean obvi it is its own thing/shade, I'm not trying to ignore your entire post on mint and it's individual features, I'm just saying I approve more of a trendy shade of green rather than a trendy shade of pink.

    and I like the shoes too!! I wish I were stylish...

    ReplyDelete